[opendtv] Re: Digital living room duel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:43:18 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Just because both camps have licensed HDMI technology, this
> does NOT mead both approaches will support the save service
> levels. How are you going to deliver even 720P uncompressed
> over a UWB/HDMI link? You'll need about 1.5 Mbps.

You're right. Ultimately, the 60 GHz scheme is supposed to be able to
carry uncompressed 1080p. But for now, wirelessHDMI claims it can carry
uncompressed SDTV over UWB.

> At 100 Mbps you cannot even deliver 720 x 480 @ 30 interlaced
> frames per second. Maybe 640 x 480...

They are claiming 480 Mb/s for HDMI over UWB, for now. I don't know that
this can't be doubled or tripled before the 60 GHz standard bears fruit,
but we'll see. UWB should be able to carry several Gb/s of payload,
ultimately. That's why I was wondering what this new 60 GHz spec was
going after that was any different.

The answer, I do believe, is that they are after new IP and that they
need something to circumvent regulatory obstacles in certain countries.

Here is the article that talks about UWB.

Wireless HDMI effort amasses support

Loring Wirbel
(11/13/2006 9:00 AM EST)

Since the emerging WirelessHD effort has put ultrawideband video
distribution approaches in the crosshairs, some might expect Tzero
Technologies executives to be looking over their shoulders as they head
to Dallas this week for the TelcoTV show. But Tzero insists the
"wireless HDMI" (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) effort it
launched with Analog Devices Inc. is well-positioned and already
well-supported.

Most UWB semiconductor companies have concentrated on the "certified
wireless USB" extensions promoted by the WiMedia Alliance, betting that
a wireless replacement for the Universal Serial Bus will outsell other
in-home personal-area networks, including the multipoint WiNet standard.
Tzero's partial HDMI replacement offers speeds just shy of 500
Mbits/second that can carry standard-definition progressive signals in
uncompressed format. WirelessHD members, however, are betting their
spec's support for 1,920 x 1,080 progressive scan will be a potent
differentiator.

In Dallas this week, Tzero will announce hardware development
partnerships for wireless HDMI with AboCom Systems Inc. for modules,
Asustek Computer Inc. for full HDMI systems and Arcadyan Technology
Corp. for residential gateway references. Tzero also has some impressive
end customers: Siemens' Home and Office Communication Devices group is
developing a UWB home router using the Tzero's 7000 UWB chip set, Amedia
Networks Inc. will show a residential gateway, Complete Media Systems
Ltd. will demo a UWB set-top box, Entone Technologies Inc. is offering a
customer-premises gateway, UT Starcomm will show an IP video gateway and
Magnum Semiconductor will demonstrate wireless UWB links to digital
recording tools. "That should speak volumes on whether wireless HDMI is
ready for prime time," said Tzero vice president of marketing Dan Karr.

WirelessHD targets speeds of several Gbits per second, compared with
rates of 480 Mbits/s for Tzero's UWB implementation. Kurt Scherf,
principal analyst at TV market analyst Parks Associates said WirelessHD
can make a case for being a more legitimate HDMI replacement, but he
asked "whether the home needs yet another standard. WirelessHD might
make more sense 10 years down the road."

Karr said Tzero realizes it must compete with advanced wireless LANs
like 802.11n, as well as with wired HDMI, MoCA, HomePNA and HomePlug
networks. UWB's advantages are wall penetration and non-line-of-sight
support.

Rajeev Krishnamoorthy, Tzero's founder and CTO, said it's foolish to
promote 60-GHz technologies for transport of uncompressed 1,080p video,
"since all content is compressed at some point in a network."
Krishnamoorthy predicted a "land rush to UWB, since at low frequencies
you get very good coverage and lots of bandwidth."

All material on this site Copyright 2006 CMP Media LLC. All rights
reserved.