[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:35:59 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> [...]
I think that must be more like 8 million households in Austrlia. They
only have 20 million people.

>Why can Australia have over 86 different models of HD and SD STBs from 26
>manufacturers <http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=18>  in such a
>small market?  Because boxes designed for Europe can easily and cheaply be
>adapted to 7 MHz channels.  If Australia had an entirely unique modulation
>and transport stream method, chances are they would not have nearly the
>number of choices that they do now.
>

>>Moving on to conspiracy theories, it would also be interesting to know
>>if any pressure is being brought on the CE companies by cable or
>>satellite to stay out of the OTA STB market.
>>

>No such pressure is required.  As long as CE maker's manufacturing capacity
>is being filled with DBS boxes, Digital Cable boxes, and European/Oceania
>DVB-T boxes, why even bother making ATSC STBs with still unproven
>technology, high return rates, and low shelf life?
>

>>For that matter, are cheap OTA STB's available in the Korean market?
>>

>Where do you think most of our STBs have been coming from?  Where do you
>think the companies that Bob Miller has been working with trying to get a
>prototype that worked as well as the LG 'cold fusion' STB?

No one beleives there is a market here for 8-VSB OTA receivers. They
beleive there is only one customer, Congress, and a one time opportunity
for filling the orderfor subsidized converter boxes. After that no
market. You will have to buy an integrated set that has been mandated.
Maybe the FCC should also mandate junk 8-VSB STBs.

They could then force people to accept them as in lieu of tax refunds if
they didn't enclose a receipt with their tax return showing that they
had bought an integrated HDTV.

Bob Miller