[opendtv] Re: Did I get this one right?

NOT speaking for Tom here...

At 6:52 PM -0700 10/18/07, John Willkie wrote:
If the shoe fits ...

So:
1.      Rather than complaining about the loaner channel, please provide
your preferred way of dealing with the transition

Actually I have never complained about the loaner channels. But broadcasters have...

But If I were to have had the ability to guide this process I probably would have set a hard date for the cut-over and done it on a region by region basis over a period of months, and I would have worked with the CE vendors to develop highly capable STBs for the new broadcast service that would have been available in quantity for at least six months prior to the cut-over (during this period there would have been limited DTV broadcasts to test the new infrastructure. I would NOT have encouraged the development of integrated receivers, instead focusing on a standard monitor interface for the STBs from competitive service providers.

2.      Please explain why you think that this loaner channel has prevented
the development of working white space devices.

I suspect that Tom was simply talking about the scam to protect the spectrum from the mid '80s to date.

3.      Please explain why you think that these white space devices will
work on broadcast (2-51, within 18 or so months) and non-broadcast channels

They can easily work now, as they have been for decades (wireless mics, hospital monitoring equipment, etc.). There is nothing magic about using the white spaces. It is quite easy to do so without interference into analog and DTV broadcasts. I am growing tired of the FUD, from the broadcasters and from you John.