[opendtv] Re: Did I get this one right?

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:29:42 -0400

How many people on this list think that there are "unused" portions of
the broadcast spectrum?  John Wilke pointed out earlier that wireless
microphone users are just one group that shares this spectrum.  I've
heard it said (and have no reason to doubt) that there are about 1000
channels of wireless microphones within a mile or two of the Empire
State Building, clustered more or less around a wide street called
Broadway. Those users are very creative, and are very much good
neighbors to the other users of that spectrum.  Any major sporting event
or entertainment event always has dozens of channels of RF in use.
While they are not broadcasters in the traditional sense, these
operators often provide live programming to broadcasters, so they are
very much "brothers in arms" in this fight.

There is a very real threat from unlicensed devices to these users of
the spectrum.  Their lives haven't been made any easier by the
allocation of two channels to each broadcaster for the duration of the
DTV transition, but at least they know where the broadcasters and the
neighboring theatres are.  You don't have to think too long to come up
with a circumstance where some "broadband device" would be turned on and
how it could be legitimately considered "interference," not
"competition."

Ken