[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:32:48 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

>> The Accurian does exhibit a bit of a loud pop, to the subwoofer,
>> when it's initially turned on or off, so I turn down the volume
>> when first powering up. So what? These are indictments of less
>> than perfectly turned out products, not the ATSC standard.
>
> Funny, I've never noticed that with mine, connected via optical
> cable.

That makes sense. I think what happens is that these Digital Stream
clones have a DC component on their analog audio outputs. So for
example, if I turn the thing off and then switch the preamp to another
input immediately after, I'll hear a pop. If I give the DC level some
time to decay, no pop.

If you use the S/PDIF optical output, of course there won't be a DC
component, and the signal is not reproduced in analog anyway.

The Digital Stream HD3150 Plus box has its own volume control, so the
pop can be made much less loud. Just set its volume up some, which makes
the relative level of the pop lower compared with the audio signal.

> I only use it every few weeks but often I've just left it on and
> invariably by then it will be frozen and I'll have to turn it off
> and on again to get it back. But it doesn't seem to pop then.
>
> Any idea if I'd really be saving power if I left it off?

Of course you would. "On" it draws 22W, "off" it draws no more than 2W
(maybe less than that; I saw the 2W spec somewhere for the older Digital
Stream HD1150).

I always turn everything off, so I haven't noticed this freezing up
problem.