[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 01:54:17 -0500

On 11/19/06, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You said that you did tests only 22 miles from Manhattan, and only in 1999,
before you knew Mark Schubin.  I said that wasn't true, that you had done
tests in Manhattan in 2001 or 2002.  You now concede that you did tests in
Manhattan in 2002, and I presume that you knew Mark Schubin then.

Well if somehow I said that I know not when. Why is even a bigger
mystery since I talked about the later test for a long time on this
forum. Why would I now lie about it?

I also said that you said on this list that you tried COFDM reception on the
street in front of Mark's apartment.  I inferred that you didn't try
reception in his apartment because the reception in the street was sub par.

In the 1999 test we only drove by his apartment by chance I believe.
Like I say I don't think I had met him and didn't know where he lived.
We were doing an early morning test and only had an hour each day we
did it.

Funnily enough (I don't know what floor the Famous Schubin site is on),
reception a few floors or more above the street might be better than at
ground level.

May be.

But, you lacked the cojones to try COFDM.  Unlike the people who have
trooped through his apartment trying to improve ATSC.

I have been to his apartment numerous times to test ATSC. With LG
engineers, other engineers, friends and by myself. There was no reason
to try COFDM in his apartment in 2001-2 since we did not get any
signal strength blocks away in all directions even on the street. We
did not have a signal anywhere near his apartment. He is near Central
Park. I think we got a signal as far North as 74 St. on 10th AVE.

Our transmitter was too low powered and to low in altitude to get a
signal into the clutter that is the upper West Side. We came close to
putting a transmitter on a 35 story East Side apartment building which
would have covered his apartment but it didn't happen. If we had put
up that transmitter his apartment is the first place I would have
gone.

Bob Miller

John Willkie

P.S.  This was, to the best of the my knowledge, the second COFDM tx attempt
in NYC that assiduously avoided the Schubin site.  I have no reason to
believe that you were involved in the earlier test.

I know of no other COFDM test in New York other than ones we were
involved in. 1999, 2002 and we were involved with the test that the
DoD, Sinclair and others did in November of 2001 from Brooklyn. That
didn't work past Midtown either. In fact an adjacent channel blew us
off the air as we approached Midtown. I don't think we got much above
Canal St. In fact I remeber Canal St. as sort of the Northern boundary
of the signal. Did work on the FDR up to maybe 27th St.

You want to be on top of Midtown, Empire State Building, or
broadcasting into it from all sides.

Bob Miller