[opendtv] Re: Democrats Air Concerns About Analog Switchover

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:24:44 -0800

I see the issue framed quite differently than you.  You call OCAP and MHEG
as proprietary tools, and put them in the same sentence as OpenTV.

I see OpenTV as a proprietary system, and I believe that OCAP, MHEG, et al
are as "proprietary" as TCP/IP or "the Internet."

I think you might want to refer to a dictionary to see what the definition
of proprietary is.

I've somewhat consistently said that the Internet is another way to permit
interactivity, and I've become more positive about ACAP, OCAP and GEM as a
subset of all emerged that appears to work on all three.

Do television or radio stations in you area offer prizes to real viewers by
putting out a "code word" that you enter into a web page (or call in to a
telephone number)?

ACAP, et al, could overlay this type of feature (or supplant it) and limit
those eligible to people actually watching the program, who would only have
to "click" and not remember a code word. A code word that could be a
128-character hex string combined from a unique public key created live in
the broadcast and, say, appended with something from the make/model of the
receiving device, or a GUID that could only be used once.

Caching would be counterproductive in this application, were the broadcaster
interested in only getting live viewers.  Even if cached, the prize would go
to the fastest, not the lastest.

Oh.  I see why you might believe that OCAP, ACAP et all are proprietary,
based on the Java base of all.

Is javascript proprietary?

John Willkie