[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:04:47 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Margins for HM-COFDM: 19.6 dB and 10 dB.

> Margins for 8VSB vary with the amount of equalization requred,
> so without knowing how many eq taps are engaged, how can you
> measure S/N?.

You stated that you had 14 Mb/s of regular 8-VSB and 500 Kb/s of A-VSB.
That should give you all the information you need to tell us how the C/N
margins in the wide and narrow channels compare.

How do they compare? Only then can you see whether you are paying a
higher or lower penalty for A-VSB.

> I suppose the A-VSB busses couldn't get to highway speeds on
> the Strip.

So why imply that A-VSB is unable to reach highway speeds?

This is what I'm talking about when I say chronic pessimism.

> What we are comparing is the cost in bits lost from the main
> bitstream for each bit in the robust stream. E-VSB and A-VSB
> are horrible at that,

PROVE IT! What you say is simply false. But you have to prove it to
yourself by ferreting out the information on the C/N margin comparisons.

> And what I didn't mention is that the high bitrate stream all
> by itself is receivable in the mobile mode, even if HM-COFDM
> weren't used, as demonstrated by the infamous Bob Miller
> video.

Ditto for 8-VSB, when you design a receiver with decent dynamic echo
tolerance. Did you test out 8-VSB with something that measures well,
like the Samsung Gemini or (hopefully) newer ones? Didn't you hear Frank
Eory saying he could receive 8-VSB at 60 mph with a 2nd gen receiver
Motorola made?

So obviously, it's not impossible. CE vendors can make it happen if it
matters to them.

> I still have a copy if you want to watch it. Why you refused
> to watch it is beyond me.

Who cares? How is this an issue?