[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:17:36 -0700

John S. Wrote:
> No, they are not leaked eyewitness reports.  I have the MSTV
> report in .PDF format, and it clearly shows that at 6' COFDM
> beat 8-VSB for all channels.

Thanks John, I first heard about it confidentially and I'm a little fuzzy in
my recollection of the full reports details, which I no longer have. The
important point is that it did happen and it is documented.

> Further, as I recall, Sinclair was made privy to the preliminary
> data as it was being gathered, and noticed immediately that
> 8-VSB was outperforming COFDM at the 30 foot antenna level,
< but COFDM was beating 8-VSB at the 6 foot level, at the same
> sites!  This red flag led them to  discover the wide
> front end of the DVTM2000(T), and to point it out to the MSTV/NAB
> testers.
> The testers said that over half of the sites were already tested,
< so if there were any questions regarding the performance of the
> DVTM200(T), they would be addressed in the Phase II testing.
>
> Phase II testing never occurred.

That is also correct. I was personally involved with Sinclair and we jointly
presented arguments before the full MSTV committee regarding the DVTM2000(T)
front end issue. Sinclair had made that preliminary test information
available before the meeting and upon reading it, the COFDM receiver's
front-end deficiency "jumped out" at any reader who had a receiver design
understanding and a transmitter signal testing background. We were both
befuddled by the fact that the test engineers "failed" to recognize this
problem.

We argued that issue before the committee without resolution but the testers
promised to address it in Phase Two, which was to occur as part of the
original test criteria. Phase Two turned out to be another Red Herring. The
joint MSTV/NAB executive committee immediately canceled it and the receiver
issue was never considered, other than by the sages on this forum.
As you may recall, Sinclair had followed this up by testing an identical
receiver at those same sites but with the addition of a simple front-end
bandpass filter and they reported vastly improved performance. However, this
information was also never officially addressed.