[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:32:03 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>

These are the same leaked eye witness reports a heard regarding the MSTV/NAB
tests, even though they were not in the official report or in the
debriefings I attended in Washington. These tests were purposely not open to
outside scrutiny, unlike the earlier Sinclair demos.

Dale,

No, they are not leaked eyewitness reports. I have the MSTV report in .PDF format, and it clearly shows that at 6' COFDM beat 8-VSB for all channels. It also shows a graph that shows the angle of reception, which was recorded for every location, every channel, and both formats as part of the original data gathering.

Further, as I recall, Sinclair was made privy to the preliminary data as it was being gathered, and noticed immediately that 8-VSB was outperforming COFDM at the 30 foot antenna level, but COFDM was beating 8-VSB at the 6 foot level, at the same sites! This red flag led them to discover the wide front end of the DVTM2000(T), and to point it out to the MSTV/NAB testers. The testers said that over half of the sites were already tested, so if there were any questions regarding the performance of the DVTM200(T), they would be addressed in the Phase II testing.

Phase II testing never occurred.

John