[opendtv] Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:54:20 -0700

That would indeed be an interesting exercise. Since COFDM worked at
virtually every urban location using the first gen. receivers it would be an
instructive demo without its retesting, assuming the same Sinclair
transmission system could be used. I don't have the original documentation
from Baltimore so don't know if the original channel (45?) is operating as a
DTV at that location and at about the same power.
If, however, the current Baltimore DTV uses the same location but on a
different channel, antenna and at a significantly different TPO, it would
not be as instructive but would still be a worthwhile exercise.

Mark Aitken could likely provide a map of the 1999 test sites, though I
doubt if the multi story apartment location would be available.

> > Considering the Sinclair test report from 1999 (the actual
> > results, not the anecdotes......

What are you alluding to, in particular? I participated in the urban portion
of the 1999 tests and don't believe that my descriptions were embellished in
any way. Written reports seldom ever provide, in full detail, what the eyes
on the ground actually witness.

Dale