[opendtv] Re: Delay

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:55:09 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> We have a perfect example of what ails OTA TV in the Gainesville market.
> Craig says 93 percent cable penetration. Gee, what a surprise. They don't
> even provide the major networks OTA. Is it really that hard to figure
> out why Gainesville TV customers don't care much about their ATSC tuner?

Well, I'm finally back online tonight after multiple attempts to get Cox cable broadband here in Gainesville. And I'm probably going to cancel the cable TV part of my Cox subscription. At least with my digital PCTV cards I get fewer digital channels from Cox than I do OTA.

I guess Gainesville is just not HDTV oriented yet. In many places, including my 3 prior residences there are 5 major commercial networks plus PBS broadcasting prime time HDTV OTA. In Gainesville I can get only CBS, ABC, and PBS in HD. Fox is SDTV for some reason, NBC is MIA in any form, and the CW channel is carried in SD as a sub-channel on ABC. All these various channels come in using only 2 indoor antennas though all seem to have intermittent break ups.

However after a quick cable scan it seems I can only get CBS and PBS digitally from Cox with my limited basic subscription. That subscription only costs me about $4-5 / mo. after the broadband discount but I don't think it has any value added to me at all since I never watch the analog channels anymore.

On the good side I find I have a dead E* dish mounted on a firmly set pole outside the house. Hopefully when I replace the top of this with my rotor antenna I can maybe can pick up some Jax stations.

Or maybe I just download some more from now on.

- Tom

Bob Miller wrote:

My point is absent anyone using the OTA spectrum why not
sell it off? That is what Congress is going to be thinking
after the analog turnoff and all the media attention is
focused on the pathetic numbers that will be very public
then about who is using OTA DTV.

As an actual user of OTA and HDTV, the idea that you distort the
usership numbers downward and that the real issues with OTA TV are
hidden behind this nonsensical modulation "debate" is really getting
old.

We have a perfect example of what ails OTA TV in the Gainesville market.
Craig says 93 percent cable penetration. Gee, what a surpise. They don't
even provide the major networks OTA. Is it really that hard to figure
out why Gainesville TV customers don't care much about their ATSC tuner?

Honestly, Bob, you sound to me like someone prescribing Nyquil to cure a
patient with a broken leg.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com