[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:43:22 -0400

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:
> Can you imagine a cable system trying to determine which of these is
> "popular"
> enough to spin off as a separate "channel"???

Uhhh, yes. The cable companies are in the business of deciding which content they can deliver at a profit. That's what they do. Why would you give that decision to a broadcaster who can simply sell the extra channels for televangelists and infomercials?

- Tom

The primary reason for Integrated Security Ban was so users could buy HDTV/DVR equipments (preferably built-in) and know that they could readily hook it up to
ANY cable system....eventually with no loss of functionality.....and without
the hassle of external STBs....

The recent Third FNPRM re Navigation Devices seeks comments re whether
these rules should be extended to ALL MVPD, incl DBS (e.g. D* & E* Satellites)
and wireline (e.g. AT&T IPTV).  Wouldn't you rather have an HDTV that can
be simply plugged into power and will automatically connect (e.g. wirelessly)
with Sat Dish and/or Cable/IPTV entry box.....

The FCC envisions the "HDTV" becoming a multi-purpose and
multi-network receiving system that can be simply plugged into any and
all MVPD delivery systems.

Oh, BTW, the HDTV is also becoming the Internet access appliance...

With this in mind, why should we tolerate cable systems
stripping out ANY of the
OTA data streams (as they apparently do now with PSIP).

We wouldn't tolerate it on the Internet data bit delivery system (Net Neutrality) and
shouldn't tolerate it for whatever is multiplexed onto ATSC stations.

To do so could possibly result in cable subscribers being denied access to less
popular local and religious programs....and whatever other streams make it
onto the multiplex---such as the Mobile/Handheld data streams....or traffic info....
or encrypted PDS (p*rn delivery system)....

Can you imagine a cable system trying to determine which of these is "popular" enough to spin off as a separate "channel"??? And always in the middle wrt billing
for encrypted subscription data streams.

A Brave New World is Coming.....

Hopefully one where cable is just a data bit delivery system, simply passing
all 19+ Mbps to the user.

holl_ands

======================================
*/Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    At the insistence of broadcaster lobbyists 'they' are constantly
    thinking about multi-must-carry. But I think the consensus of what they
    probably have and will get is must carry for a single primary digital
    channel after cut-off. In other words, what they have now but
    transferred to digital.

    - Tom

    Albert Manfredi wrote:
     > Don Moore wrote:
     >
     >> Have you ever thought about "What If Cable Decides NOT to pay?"
    Right
     >> now as content providers look for the best deal for
    distribution, the
     >> broadcasters are getting locked out more often now. Off-Network
     >> Syndication is going to cable for first run, while the broadcasters
     >> are left
     >> with the scraps or second runs.
     >

     > If Congress is truly interested in retaining a FOTA TV system in
    the US,
     > as it claims it is and as many other governments also claim to
    be, then
     > they will probably want to revisit that national cap rule. My bet is
     > that the national cap will keep edging up, making it more
    desirable for
     > content creators to keep the FOTA medium in existence. I think
    this will
     > be one of those knobs that is constantly adjusted.
     >
     >> There's no Must Carry for digital once the analog stream is shut
    down.

     > I don't think this is the case, necessarily. Aren't they debating a
     > multicast must-carry after analog shutdown?
     >
     > Bert

TV dinner still cooling?
Check out "Tonight's Picks" <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49979/*http://tv.yahoo.com/> on Yahoo! TV.

--