[opendtv] Re: DSLRs Push HD Video Envelope

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:41:01 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Go price out some Triax or Hybrid Fiber equipped studio cameras and lenses
> like the ones Mark Schubin uses at the Met, then tell me about HD cameras
> being big ticket items. You're talking almost $200,000 per camera,
> depending on lens.

I guess the point was, and is, it ain't the 1 or 2 Mpel frame that should be
driving that price up. It's whatever set of pro features that would also drive
up the price of pro level SD cameras.

Even well before 1991, the lenses used in SLRs were more than adequate for
HDTV-quality imaging, and with good MTF, if they were used with 24mm X 36mm
sensors.

Reasonably good and reasonably priced consumer grade lenses are capable of
transferring ~70 lp/mm average across the frame. That translates to being
capable of differentiating 5400 pixels in the horizontal direction. So, even if
each pixel consists of separate R, G, and B sensors lined up horizontally
(which they don't), that is more than adequate for the 1280 horizontal pixels
of 720p, and very close to what is ideal for the 1920 horizontal pixels of
1080p/i. The MTF qualities ought to be excellent.

Naturally, if you want to make them shock resistant, dust resistant, water
resistant, fast zooming, what have you, the price goes up. Same as it would in
lenses with less resolution.