[opendtv] Re: Cox Cable San Diego update

We had MTV on an LPTV channels as well, here in Las Vegas.  It was a
"by-request" playout where you would call a 1-900 number to request a video
and be charged for the call.  I believe it was a franchise you could buy
and operate.

Dan

             John Willkie
             <johnwillkie@eart
             hlink.net>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             opendtv-bounce@fr                                          cc
             eelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [opendtv] Re: Cox Cable San Diego
             06/18/2008 10:36          update
             PM

             Please respond to
             opendtv@freelists
                   .org

Even if you had that intent, it's never illegal to receive unencrypted
over-the-air signals.

While it's possible this was cable leakage, it is more likely that there is
another explanation.  I've seen one of the MTV channels (not MTV1)
available hereabouts on an LPTV station, and I was able to even get a
general idea of the tx site.  The antenna was a 'bent dipole' and was
suboptimal, and in English.  MTV en Ingles is not offered on Cablemas in
Tijuana, nor over-the-air in Tijuana, so the only explanation was ota from
el Norte.  (I live just 1/2 mile s of el frontera.)

mother, who have never paid for HBO and who complain that there haven't
been any free HBO freeweekends for close to two decades.  (This system was
the first large catv system in the nation, and was the subject of FCC
hearings and decisions in the late 1960's and early 1970's, including two
that went to the Supreme Court and established that the FCC has authority
to regulate cable.)  ISTR that there was a "free showtime" weekend in the
early 1990's.  The channel that was previously used for this service (which
has to be in the basic tier was relegated to mandatory leased access, and
moved to a channel in the 90's in the mid-1990s.  The highest
basic-basic-basic channel on CCSD (south division, anyway) is 27, a
shopping channel.

>> One of the dirty little secrets is that many, many channels have been
alleged to be available on Cox Cable San Diego over the years (in FCC
filings, in TV Factbook) that WERE NEVER OFFERED on COX CABLE SAN DIEGO.
Examples: WGN and Pat Robertson's WYAH.  The reality on the cable is
different than the 'reality' in FCC filings and TV Factbook.

>> 2. I have a few more data points on HBO in the clear on CCSD.  My mother
told me the other day that she sees that channel sometimes when she surfs,
and that sometimes the channel has no audio.  When I most recently checked,
the entire channel was scrambled.  Maybe this is in response to my postings
here, perhaps not; in all previous samples -- albeit anecdotal -- the
channel was in the clear.

>--
>Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx

GIF image