[opendtv] Re: Cox Cable San Diego update

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:39:53 -0400

People can receive all sorts of things, sometimes for no obvious reason.

For instance, back in Jacksonville before I ever subscribed to or connected Comcast cable I used an attic antenna and it could somehow pick up MTV2 on my MyHD card. I assumed it was getting it somehow off nearby cable lines, but never really knew how or why I could get it.

Note I have never had any intention to either pirate or watch MTV2. It was just there, apparently OTA though I never found any info it was ever intentionally broadcast that way.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
1. Yes, I know quite a few Cox Cable San Diego customers, like my mother, who have never paid for HBO and who complain that there haven't been any free HBO freeweekends for close to two decades. (This system was the first large catv system in the nation, and was the subject of FCC hearings and decisions in the late 1960's and early 1970's, including two that went to the Supreme Court and established that the FCC has authority to regulate cable.) ISTR that there was a "free showtime" weekend in the early 1990's. The channel that was previously used for this service (which has to be in the basic tier was relegated to mandatory leased access, and moved to a channel in the 90's in the mid-1990s. The highest basic-basic-basic channel on CCSD (south division, anyway) is 27, a shopping channel.
One of the dirty little secrets is that many, many channels have been alleged
to be available on Cox Cable San Diego over the years (in FCC filings, in TV
Factbook) that WERE NEVER OFFERED on COX CABLE SAN DIEGO.  Examples: WGN and
Pat Robertson's WYAH.  The reality on the cable is different than the 'reality'
in FCC filings and TV Factbook.

2. I have a few more data points on HBO in the clear on CCSD.  My mother told
me the other day that she sees that channel sometimes when she surfs, and that
sometimes the channel has no audio.  When I most recently checked, the entire
channel was scrambled.  Maybe this is in response to my postings here, perhaps
not; in all previous samples -- albeit anecdotal -- the channel was in the
clear.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx