[opendtv] Re: Congress

John Willkie wrote:

>I'm thinking that tie timing -- new chairman, new commissioner to be named,
>the state of the transition, the time into the transition -- may be about
>right for another stab at permissive COFDM in the U.S. on allocated
>channels.
>
>However, the political jujitsu and angles have to be thought out
>strategically and tactically in advance.  After all, it's not an engineering
>argument, but a techno-political one.  With all due respect to you and the
>folks at Sinclair, that was not done well (if at all) the last time.
>
>John Willkie

Sinclair was so sure they were in the right that they took it too easy.
They also trusted friends that they had been in the same industry
forever with way too much.

It made sense that the MSTV test would be conducted fairly. Who would
have thought that blatant fraud such as was committed would happen and
then be ignored by the FCC, NAB, CEA? Who would have thought that
broadcasters could be cowed into acceptance of such a blow to their
basic OTA service by Congressional threats?

Ditto for the DoD that caved to the same Congressional hit men as far as
I can remember. So much for Homeland Security in early 2001.

Ditto for ABC, NBC, Granite and Pappas all of whom put up initial fight
and voted for COFDM. The rest were just sheep IMO. Who was that station
who criticized Sinclair for going back in and using their transmitter to
retest a COFDM receiver after the test was over. That was one aggregious
B*****d IMO.

Bob Miller