[opendtv] Re: Congress

  • From: "nat ostroff" <nostroff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:40:45 -0500

Yes, you have a good memory. Mark and I were able to show how well COFDM
worked that day in the Halls of Congress. The 8VSB guys could not match the
performance and had to tape their antenna to a window and not move it to get
a stable picture.  Not only did that demo force the CEA to admit they had a
problem BUT Gary Shapiro made a promise to the Committee, on the record and
after being asked by Chairman Tauzin, that the problem would be solved in 6
months.

There is more to the story too. After that demo Sinclair asked for a rule
making that would allow both COFDM and 8VSB to be transmitted in the USA.
That request lay without action at the FCC longer than any previous such
request for rule making in the history of the FCC. I guess they were hoping
for some progress from the CEA guys. When that miracle chip did not come the
NAB launched its own effort to sink COFDM by holding a meeting in DC and
inviting most of the Broadcast Industry. At that meeting they had several
members of Congress speak in order to scare the hell out of the industry.
Within a week of that meeting in DC the results of the bogus comparison test
were published. I say bogus because Mark Aitken and Harvey Arnold went back
to sites were COFDM failed. They proved beyond a doubt that the reason for
the failures were simply FRONT END OVERLOAD of the COFDM receiver. Even
after the receiver manufacturer wrote to the NAB and stated that their
reciever was never intended to be used with an antenna as it had NO FRONT
END FILTER the NAB Board voted to ignore the information and endorse 8VSB.
This action sank COFDM in the USA for TV broadcasting.

One has to ask if the NAB was deceived or worse by the CEA and the telecom
folks to make sure that Broadcasters never got a piece of any mobile or
portable business. I personally have a hard time chalking their actions to
simple stupidly. Arrogance may explain some of it but not their concerted
action to sink COFDM

Nat Ostroff