[opendtv] Re: Congress

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:43:39 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

>Bob,
>
>Mark Aitken demonstrated COFDM reception inside of the Commerce Committee
>hearing room, walking from the back of the room to the witness table
>carrying a bowtie antenna, and even that wasn't enough to dissuade congress
>and the Hon. Billy Tauzin from not believing the CEA when they said their
>receivers would equal or better the COFDM unit Sinclair demonstrated within
>a year or two.
>
>SSDD.
>
>John

John,

Mark sat the antenna down right in front of me on the witness table, I
remember. That is where we first met.

And I also remember that after the MSTV test in 2000 found 8-VSB to be
"disappointing" in finding released in January of 2001, the
manufacturers went on a sprint to fix it and that was supposed to take
from six months to a year. That would have made the fix due by July of
2001 or February of 2002. There was supposed to be some kind of revisit
by somebody to the subject of receiver performance at that time as I
remember.
I remember waiting impatiently for that one. It was the FCC notice that
COFDM would be allowed on channels in the lower 700 MHz and the
announcement of auctions that distracted me in February of 2002.

This is 2005.

Bob Miller