[opendtv] Re: Community Broadcaster's Association wants converter boxes to handle analog, too!

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:24:31 -0500

Met with the FCC LPTV person in 1999 with the request that LPTV
stations be allowed to use DVB-T and was told first that digital rules
for LPTV would be issued by Christmas of that year and that there was
no reason that he could see not to allow other modulations like DVB-T
on LPTV stations. Since by definition LPTV stations cannot interfere
with FPTV stations that seemed reasonable at the time. Within a few
months, as I remember it, the Sinclair controversy erupted and all
chance of LPTV stations being allowed to use COFDM vanished.

Now that would have been a fantastic help for LPTV stations IMO.

I have begged LPTV station owners for years to do something about it,
to back me in my FCC quest, to just go digital, anything. Twice I have
spoken at their conventions and met with the then FCC Chairman
Kennard, Keith Larson and Hossein Hashemzadeh at their conventions and
by appointment in DC.

In later years met with the now Chairman Martin, Rick Chessen, Bruce
A. Franca, Kathleen Ham, Robert M.Pepper, William Lane, Ken Carter,
William Huber, Alan R. Stillwell, Evan R. Kwerel, David Furth,
Johnathon Levy (lawyer for Martin), Commissioners Abernathy and Copps
and many others in meetings called for us by Ham and Chessen. All
seemed sympathetic to our demonstrations and to DVB-T. All seemed to
agree that DVB-T was a better modulation and that the FCC had "no
rational policy".

A few of the commissioners seemed to have little understanding of the
issue. Martin had no clue while his lawyer, Levy, definitely did.
Martin was hardened against new ideas IMO. MY overall impression of
the FCC was that most people there are resigned to the political
process that negates any rational actions by them and fighting the
ignorance only can imperil their jobs.

Ignorance is the operative word for those in power at the FCC and the
political hacks who control them IMO.  Martin can stand before the
entire population of the US and defy its best interest with a smile
because the democratic process is not going to get him the
multi-million dollar job he wants after his stint at the FCC. Getting
that job entails doing the bidding of lobbyist just like it did for
Chairman Powell and Congressman Tauzin before him.

The system is corrupt. The payoff does not come in an envelope but in
the form of an multi-generational understanding of the "job". Industry
pays off with the "job" openly and since there was no obvious quid pro
quo, no contract in writing or exchange of cash, just the
"understanding" that the "job" is a sure thing if you do the "right"
thing by the lobbyist for the given industry.

Tauzin had to flip a coin to see if he would take the "job" from drugs
or media. A straight unambiguous payoff and criminally corrupt IMO.
This system is probably costing the average US citizen 30% of their
paycheck in the form of extra taxes, utter waste and higher prices for
just about everything.

Bob Miller