[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on the Fox vs Cablevision dispute

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:03:37 -0400

That may be one half of "the reality," as you put it, although IE and Safari, and others, seem to have no problem.

The real issue seems to be the screen on which the content is viewed. As pointed out in one of the stories I posted, the congloms appear willing to put their content on the screens of PCs and Macs, but they want to block their content if it is using an Internet link/device to the big screen in the family room. I suppose the reasoning is that once people get use to accessing content on the big screen via the Internet they will be more willing to cut the cord with their MVPD.

The other half of "the reality" is that Comcast and Apple, to name just two, are trying to set up their own barriers to access over the Internet. For some reason, you are always unwilling to admit or object to these walled gardens, preferring to vent your ire only at content owners.

I don't understand what barrier Apple is setting up, other than the inability of the mobile platforms to use Flash, and the inability of Apple TV to connect to ANY Internet site. Yes, they have a huge ecosystem that is optimized to feed their devices. But the barrier is purchase of an Apple device, not some perceived wall around their ecosystem.

Imagine a box that only allows access to a handful of Internet walled gardens. Why should the congloms go for that?

This is EXACTLY what they are doing. They WANT to negotiate terms for every device rather than creating an "open garden" of their own with uniform pricing. That being said, they are about to introduce their own walled garden with Hulu Plus, and seem more than happy to let any device access this new service...for a price.

 The congloms are not going to cut any deals that undercut the
 current MVPD model that forces consumers to pay for stuff they
 don't consume.

Then how come I can watch Fox for free both over the Internet and OTA? The plain truth must be, the content owners are unhappy with certain distribution models, and not with other distribution models. The distribution models I use DO NOT force me to pay for stuff I don't consume.

Because, as I described in a previous message, you are watching one tiny part of the Fox stable of content. And even with Hulu and Fox.com you cannot access everything they broadcast OTA.

The reality is that when you subscribe to the extended basic tier of an MVPD, you are paying subscriber fees for more than a dozen Fox networks.

It would be inconveivable to me that any conglom would force people to use their prorietary STB to access their content. Because the congloms are well aware that people won't buy into a scheme that allows access to just their one network. So instead, what I see, and you seem unable to see, is that the congloms object to people creating any sort of exclusive Internet access for the conglom's stuff over the Internet. The congloms seem happy enough with the MVPD model, with the FOTA model, and with THEIR OWN web sites, but not happy with other Internet distribution schemes, including Google.

What they want is to negotiate the rights for every third party platform and to get paid for those rights.

Apparently Bert may have understood this all along, as he kept claiming that Google TV would become more than a browser for a TV; that it would become another "walled garden." The article he posted yesterday indicates that Google is now negotiating for rights to allow Google TV to access sites that are freely open to PC based web browsers.

So the congloms are forcing Google to build a portal for the Google TV; forcing Google to do what Apple and others have been forced to do - negotiate for the right to put their content on a big TV screen while they willingly allow the same content to be displayed on PC screens without any special deals...

You seem totally stuck on Google, for some reason. Perhaps the congloms feel that Google would have too much control into how consumers are directed to certain TV content? Maybe they perceive a risk that Google will get in bed with certain TV content sources, making them very easy to find and making others much more difficult? Wow, that seems sooo far-fetched, right? Like we don't see that all the time.

I was stuck on Google because it appeared that they were trying to create a truly open platform. Now it appears that it will be no different form any of the other walled gardens that you object to.

Apparently our only disagreement is related to who is building the walls...