[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on the Fox vs Cablevision dispute

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:55:17 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The reality today is that the content oligopoly wants to extend
> their control over content distribution through the Internet.
> They ARE NOT willing to establish "fair and reasonable terms" and
> extend them to anyone. Each platform must negotiate with each of
> the congloms and hope that they can get reasonable terms.

That may be one half of "the reality," as you put it, although IE and Safari,
and others, seem to have no problem.

The other half of "the reality" is that Comcast and Apple, to name just two,
are trying to set up their own barriers to access over the Internet. For some
reason, you are always unwilling to admit or object to these walled gardens,
preferring to vent your ire only at content owners.

Imagine a box that only allows access to a handful of Internet walled gardens.
Why should the congloms go for that?

> The congloms are not going to cut any deals that undercut the
> current MVPD model that forces consumers to pay for stuff they
> don't consume.

Then how come I can watch Fox for free both over the Internet and OTA? The
plain truth must be, the content owners are unhappy with certain distribution
models, and not with other distribution models. The distribution models I use
DO NOT force me to pay for stuff I don't consume.

It would be inconveivable to me that any conglom would force people to use
their prorietary STB to access their content. Because the congloms are well
aware that people won't buy into a scheme that allows access to just their one
network. So instead, what I see, and you seem unable to see, is that the
congloms object to people creating any sort of exclusive Internet access for
the conglom's stuff over the Internet. The congloms seem happy enough with the
MVPD model, with the FOTA model, and with THEIR OWN web sites, but not happy
with other Internet distribution schemes, including Google.

You seem totally stuck on Google, for some reason. Perhaps the congloms feel
that Google would have too much control into how consumers are directed to
certain TV content? Maybe they perceive a risk that Google will get in bed with
certain TV content sources, making them very easy to find and making others
much more difficult? Wow, that seems sooo far-fetched, right? Like we don't see
that all the time.