[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on the Fox vs Cablevision dispute

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 07:41:20 -0400

 Would you feel better if the CE manufacturers built a PC into their TVs and
 used Internet Explorer to access Hulu?

If a device advertizes Internet TV, I would much prefer for the device to allow unfettered Internet access. That's what started this whole thread. The comment, on the original article, that said that the TV manufracurers were going to have to learn how to collude with content sources.

Goggle TV advertises exactly what you are asking for.

It is certain content providers that are blocking devices using the Google TV browser from their websites...

The reality today is that the content oligopoly wants to extend their control over content distribution through the Internet. They ARE NOT willing to establish "fair and reasonable terms" and extend them to anyone. Each platform must negotiate with each of the congloms and hope that they can get reasonable terms.

I don't like this approach either, but it is the current reality. The congloms are not going to cut any deals that undercut the current MVPD model that forces consumers to pay for stuff they don't consume. The article Kon posted states this case well; the reality is that most of us are looking for alternatives, but only a few are ready to cut the cord. We are currently looking at switching to Dish, now that our cable bill is over $90/mo.

But that's why I said that instead, the device manufacturers would be able to differentiate themselves on ease of use of their solution. Presumably, the device manufacturer would select or develop a browser that works best for a TV appliance. No, you probably don't need a complete PC in these TV sets. You don't necessarily want to run Office on the TV, for instance. And you probably don't want to have to rely on the keyboard for everything either. Something that might make sense is to allow the consumer to set up the web sites he wants, and update these as often as he wants, and then make reaching these sites easy with the remote control.

Did you look at the Google TV page I cited yesterday? All of this is already there in their product.

Apple TV has the same capabilities; they are just keeping their powder dry until they can provide an alternative to the MVPDs that consumers may embrace. Hint: their North Carolina data center is about to come online, and they have already purchased additional land to double its size.

I'm not sure what it is about this that you find so hard to grasp.

Uhhhh Bert. I'm not the one having problems grasping what is going on...

It has taken repeated iterations for you to understand what is happening, and you still don't admit that you did not have a clue regarding what you were talking about.