[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on the Fox vs Cablevision dispute

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:22:42 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Would you feel better if the CE manufacturers built a PC into their TVs and
> used Internet Explorer to access Hulu?

If a device advertizes Internet TV, I would much prefer for the device to allow
unfettered Internet access. That's what started this whole thread. The comment,
on the original article, that said that the TV manufracurers were going to have
to learn how to collude with content sources.

But that's why I said that instead, the device manufacturers would be able to
differentiate themselves on ease of use of their solution. Presumably, the
device manufacturer would select or develop a browser that works best for a TV
appliance. No, you probably don't need a complete PC in these TV sets. You
don't necessarily want to run Office on the TV, for instance. And you probably
don't want to have to rely on the keyboard for everything either. Something
that might make sense is to allow the consumer to set up the web sites he
wants, and update these as often as he wants, and then make reaching these
sites easy with the remote control.

I'm not sure what it is about this that you find so hard to grasp.