[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on the Fox vs Cablevision dispute

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 14:52:50 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Furthermore, any device that offers only limited access to content streamed
> via an IP connection states this up front as part of the business/product
> proposition. You yourself stated above that you purchased an LG BluRay
> player that allows access to Netflix and a few other sites. Apparently you
> brain is saying one thing and you mouth is saying another.

Nope. My brain said, this is stupid. So, instead of buying the player with
built-in WiFi, for a walled garden Internet model that makes no sense whatever,
I bought the one which requires a USB plugin device for WiFi. And I didn't buy
the extra device.

> Consumers are free to evaluate the value propositions of any device and the
> services that they can access.

Yes, and content owners are free to evaluate the agreements made between device
manufacturers and middlemen, Craig. And when consumers discover that they can't
access the TV channels they thought they should be able to access, via these
new, limited, Internet TVs, maybe eventually consumers will get the message NOT
to rely on unnecessary middlemen.

> You are very critical of Apple ...

Not really. They are just out for a buck. It's consumers I'm more critical of.
Those who allow themselves to be suckered, and then they whine about it.