[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on Internet openness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 23:12:37 -0500

At 6:24 PM -0500 11/20/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Therefore, your incessant griping about retrans consent is totally off the wall. Your high cable bills ARE NOT caused by retrans consent. Let's keep remembering this fact.

Sorry Bert, but they are.

The increases have come in several waves; the first wave was less insidious than the one we are riding now.

The first waves accompanied the increase in the number of channels made possible by the upgrades to the cable plants over the past two decades.

The original analog plants could only deliver about 30 channels. In the late '80s and early '90s most systems upgraded to a 550 MHz analog infrastructure capable of delivering about 79 channels. Typically the extended basic tiers grew to 40-50 channels with the rest dedicated to premium cable channels.

These upgrades coincided with the the 1992 Cable Act which gave broadcasters retransmission consent. All of the networks except CBS used their original retrans consent agreements to launch new cable channels to fill up the increased capacity of the upgraded systems. Virtually all of these new channels received minimal subscriber fees, following the practice established by Turnerand Time Warner for the channels they launched in the '80s. CBS demanded and received cash compensation.

As a result, rather than the 1992 act controlling the ongoing increases in cable rates, the rates continued to climb, based on the ability of the MVPDs to increase rates as they added more channels.

During the '90s the industry went through another upgrade cycle to 750 MHz plants. These plants typically carried the same number of analog channels - initially, the additional bandwidth was used for digital cable, broadband and additional premium tiers. Some systems added channels to the extended basic analog tier by moving premium analog services to the digital tiers. Rates continues to climb with the adition of new channels.

During the second half of the '90s the broadcast congloms went on a buying spree, gobbling up most of the new cable networks that they did not start. By the end of the decade they owned about 90% of the available channels in the extended basic (analog and digital) tiers.

In the past decade most of the original retrans consent deals expired. This time the congloms went for rate increases for their cable networks, and they started to demand cash for the broadcast channels. These increases are passed on to consumers.

So it is clear that retrans consent has been the most powerful tool in the congloms arsenal to demand ever higher carriage fees.

That being said, Bert is somewhat correct; retrans consent is now used primarily for the broadcast channels, but in many cases the agreement still involve a bundle of channels both broadcast and non-broadcast. For example, the recent agreement between Fox and Cablevision covers Fox 5 and My9 in New York, Fox 29 in Philadelphia and the cable channels Fox Deportes, Fox Business Network and Nat Geo Wild.

Bert is correct that it is not necessary for the congloms to use retrans consent if they want to withhold non-broadcast content that they own. .

 No. They moved to cable for all the stuff you CANNOT watch with an
 antenna.

Stating the obvious doesn't respond to my point.

This content that 85 percent of households seem to crave, Craig, is it local or is it not? Do you and Copps really believe that people flocked to cable for the local junior college pottery class?

What has local got to do with it Bert? We both agree that Copps is off-base. But local is just a tiny part of broadcast TV these days. The only local content people have watched in significant numbers is news, and that audience is dying.

I have a bit of experience with this Bert. Just ask Cliff; we produced about 10 hours a week of local public affairs programming at WLCY-TV in the '70s as part of the agreement to squeeze WLCY into channel 10. Nobody watched...

Why punish broadcasters, by yanking away even more of their spectrum, for not offering what NO ONE WANTS ANYWAY?

HUH?

Now you agree with Copps?

Only a small percentage of the population wants broadcast TV Bert. People stopped watching because of what they DO OFFER.

Anyone for Ice Skating with the Stars?

And please look at my comments about Doug Lung's article. Broadcasters are offering more channels than at any time in their history. And still hardly anyone is watching.