[opendtv] Re: Commentary: Is Internet TV yet another would-be wedding?

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:19:43 -0700

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Very timely article. I'll stick with my previous comments on the
> subject, i.e. that Internet TV can work fine as long as it's TV, and not
> the sort of heavily interactive experience people prefer doing, and have
> become accustomed doing, sitting up to a PC, with keyboard, and
> typically alone.
>
> "In contrast, the Widget Channel uses a thin bar along the bottom as a
> default. It's not about browsing -- it's about pushing content."

A thin bar with pushed content? This is something new? Yawn!

The problem with internet television on a television is not the fact
that it is interactive -- it's the fact that the input mechanisms
(mouse and keyboard) are antiquated. We need gesture control for one
thing. Until the CE industry realizes this, they will just continue to
flounder and push nonsense like 'push widgets' as newfangled
technologies.

Cheers
Kon