[opendtv] Re: Closer

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:13:06 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > Currently we subscribe only to the extended basic analog tier. The
 > minimum Digital package costs about $12-15 per month, plus the cost
 > of renting a STB. There does not appear to be a separate charge for
 > the HD channels, but you will pay more for the HD STB rental. I think
 > Dan indicated that it would cost him about $17/mo for the second HD
 > STB for his 26" LCD panel. By the way, he is taking the second box
 > back because he has found that HD is overkill on this size display,
 > and he already has HD on a larger screen in the family room. He plans
 > to put the 26" panel in a den, with an X-Box and two chairs that will
 > sit about 5-7 feet from the screen.

With Comcast I don't subscribe either to extended basic or digital
cable.  But I do have the HD PVR and get all the HD networks + INHD1&2 +
ESPN.  I've attached my last bill, including broadband, totaling $71.55
before taxes.  Note I would be paying $57.95 / month plus taxes if I had
chosen to have NO cable TV at all and just went with the Comcast
broadband package I originally called to purchase.  Meanwhile my old SD
Tivo was the only reason I was still keeping my land line phone for $20+
bucks a month so giving that to my kids back in Michigan and getting the
HD PVR actually ended up being a net $10 / month savings.

Of course eventually they will change the plan or raise the rates some
more and then I'll probably drop some of this.

- Tom

PS - anyone please feel free to pay this bill

Monthly Charge(s)
12/15 -  01/14  Additional Outlet(s)    .00
12/15 -  01/14  Basic 1 9.00
12/15 -  01/14  HDTV Digital Converter  9.35
12/15 -  01/14  Digital Remote  .30
12/15 -  01/14  DVR Service     9.95
12/15 -  01/14  CHSI W/CBL Own MDM      42.95
12/15 -  01/14  Includes: Comcast Internet Service ($42.95). Includes
$15.04 Discount For Comcast Cable Subscribers.  .00
        Subtotal        71.55
Taxes & Fee(s)
12/07   State Sales Tax .68
12/07   State Communications Service Tax        1.74
12/07   Local Communications Service Tax        1.10
12/07   FCC User Fee    .06
        Subtotal        3.58
Balance Due     $ 75.13