[opendtv] Re: Closer

  • From: Brian Park <floman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:44:08 -0600

Doug McDonald wrote:
>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>

>>The transformation was stunning. Suddenly a decent but soft 4:3
>>picture, sitting inside the ESPN HD pillar box fillers, was replaced
>>with a widescreen 720P shot of the stadium. Several "wows" were
>>uttered when the display came alive in HD. To be honest, given what I
>>had seen thus far, I did not expect the 720P source to look so good -
>>it absolutely blew away anything I have seen in 1080@60i or 1080@24P
>>on this display. Makes me wonder if it can get any better with a
>>receiver that outputs real 720P.
>>

>I don't know about the Sammy, but on my Panny RP-LCD 720p set,
>the answer is, quite surprisingly, no, at least, even the pickiest of
>my alter egos can see no difference after the time delay to switch.
>Maybe I could with two sets side by side.
>

>Doug McDonald

I have the 50" Panny RP DLP set and a Dish HD receiver, with a Silver
Surfer antenna pointed vaguely at the Austin antenna farm about 18 miles
away. All the local HD channels come in very well, but for some reason
1080i output from the Dish box looks better than the 720p setting.
Sharper, cleaner colors, less visual noise. We sit about 12 feet away,
with the TV about 18" off the deck. I'd go closer, but a large marble
coffee table refuses to move.

CompUSA had both the LCD and DLP versions side by side in their store.
For me, the DLP picture quality was much better than the LCD, despite
being able to discern the occasional rainbow effect. The thing that does
bug me once in a while is the solarization effect on out of focus
backgrounds and on skin tones. It makes faces look like topography maps.
I presume it's the DLP limit to creating smooth and subtle color
transitions.

Despite these visual limitations, watching Lost in HD, and LOTR III
extended edition has been a great joy over the holidays.

bp