[opendtv] Re: Charles Rhodes on SFNs

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:00:37 -0400

8-VSB receivers located in the regions of overlapping coverage areas would
require spatial-diversity antennas if SFNs were employed.  This is an
expensive proposition and is impractical for hand-held receivers, lap-tops,
etc.

The alternative is for the 8-VSB transmitters to stagger their transmissions
in times, which provides no better spectrum utilization than with
disparate-frequency networks or SFNs using COFDM.

Al