[opendtv] Re: COFDM and equalization

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:31:21 -0400

At 8:11 AM -0400 4/21/04, Allen Le Roy Limberg wrote:
>I think you have it backwards, Craig.  COFDM needs higher power to reach
>same radius, which makes it a worse co-channel interferor to other signals
>than QAM or 8VSB.

This is only true for the single big stick topology. This is NOT the
way to build a modern transmission network. The GOAL is to deliver
enough signal throughout the desired coverage area, while minimizing
signal delivered into adjacent markets. This is relatively easy to
accomplish using a network of lower powered transmitters with proper
masks to keep the signal where it is wanted. Bottom line you get
better coverage at lower emission power levels. The infrastructure
costs a bit more to build, but less to operate in terms of the power
bill -at the expense of needing to distribute synchronized signals to
each transmitter. Fortunately, it is now possible to synchronize the
transmitters cheaply.