[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Nix Low-Power DTS Proposal

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:03:30 -0600

> Might have something? What, for instance? I'm really curious.
> Leaving aside the simplistic and erroneous notions of SFNs
> (they are sort of like a cellular structure), what perceived
> advantages are there to large area deployments of many low
> power sticks in SFNs?

To be clear, of the successful SFNs we have looked into on this list, i.e.
Paris, Berlin, Rome, and Sydney, and maybe even the one in NYC if it exists
today, do any of these NOT involve at least one big strick? And that one
assisted by one or a half-handful of smaller sticks?

If broadcasters want to deploy SFNs without losing their investment in their
current big sticks, all they have to do is emulate these other examples.
Install smaller OCRs to fill in gaps in coverage. I'm sure there are plenty of
markets that could use the assist right now.