[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Nix Low-Power DTS Proposal

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:42:31 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

> The land acquisition costs and engineering maintenance staff
> increases alone would kill most local broadcasters.
>
> Start up Craig's Spectrum Utility model, or something similar
> to the Crown Castle/BBC multiplex, and you might have something.

Might have something? What, for instance? I'm really curious. Leaving aside the
simplistic and erroneous notions of SFNs (they are sort of like a cellular
structure), what perceived advantages are there to large area deployments of
many low power sticks in SFNs? With the understanding, of course, that you
won't allow gaps in coverage between markets, but rather must support some
amount of overlap in the fringe zones (because people in these parts may spend
most of their waking hours in either of the adjacent markets).

Okay, I'll give you one advantage: more even power density throughout. And a
lot of disadvantages, only one of which is cost.

> But the hardest part is getting from point A to point B without
> bankrupting all of your potential spectrum utility customers in
> the process.

I think it's much more than that. I think the real problem is in understanding
the realities first, and then articulating clearly what advantages are being
sought here, without formulaic recital of old and discredited mantra.