[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Nix Low-Power DTS Proposal

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:09:39 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> One could make a strong argument that
> broadcasters COULD have pushed for a much
> different approach to DTV, one that would
> have placed the service on a competitive par
> with MVPD services. The success of Freeview
> and other multi-channel terrestrial services
> in Europe demonstrates that such an approach
> would have been viable;

With this part I can certainly agree. Unfortunately, for a combination of
reasons, it wasn't until AFTER the transition ended that broadcasters seem to
have taken an interest in thinking about how best to use their multicast
capacity. The blame went to chicken/egg all those transition years, and I think
they were several other reasons. Somehow, some of the Europeans countries found
a way to make it work.

> And one must seriously question the wisdom of
> both broadcasters and their regulators, to make
> major investments to SUSTAIN a business that is
> now irrelevant to the vast majority of U.S.

Or so you continue to hope. Broadcasters have had their environment changed,
both by the congloms selling off their own OTA assets, and by the transition
ending. So 6 months after the transition ended is not the time to be grabbing
at the spectrum. Not if broadcasters are finally getting their act together,
which it seems like they are.

And for a federal agency to do this is in very poor taste.