[opendtv] Re: Broadband DTV interferers

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:25:38 -0500

At 10:46 AM -0800 1/26/08, Dale Kelly wrote:
Bert wrote:
 Try that with large-area SFNs creating supposed cookie-cutter patters,
 where frequency is reused between markets. Recurring interference
 problems are practically inevitable.

Yep.
Tests of SFN implementations using the ATSC RP are/were running and to my
knowledge have not yet achieved satisfactory performance. This SFN
performance issue is not isolated to ATSC.
Dale

Let's get something clear here.

I am not talking about reusing the same channels in two adjacent markets. We would still have a "checkerboard" allocation system as we have today. The difference would be that the signals from one market would not be at such high power levels that they would interfere with a market a "checkerboard jump" away. And this would primarily apply to areas like the NE corridor where we have channels that cannot be reused several hundred miles away. In some rural market you might be able to use virtually all of the channels allocated to TV broadcasting, as there would not be any markets close enough to interfere with.

I reject the notion that this stuff cannot be made to work. accept the notion that TV broadcasters do not want to compete and are comfortable with an inefficient transmission infrastructure that relies on other infrastructures to serve 85% of U.S. homes.