[opendtv] Re: [Brazilian] Government threatens digital TV manufacturers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:07:52 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:

> I must not be able to see the part about the under-$75 price.

That's because the blurb, the first to show a "converter" that I know
of, doesn't talk about price.

But not to despair. This is where the price point is divulged. "So we
are told" is what I said.

I'm pretty sure we already saw this press release. It was the actual
description of the box that we hadn't seen. You have to wait until
January to see this one, anyway.

Oh, by the way, the SBTVD STBs are also not in stores.

Bert

--------------------------------------
http://www.dstreamtech.com/english/newsroom/news_read.asp?idx=8&page=1&f
ield=&search=

Newspaper : dstreamtech
Date : 2007-09-21
File : .
Link :
http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/digital-stream-obtains-first-ntia/
n20070921161509990024?cid=2369

Digital Stream obtains first NTIA approval for digital-to-analog
converter box

Torrance, Calif. (Sept. 21, 2007)--In preparation for the digital
television transition, Digital Stream USA has introduced the first
digital-to-analog television converter box to be approved by the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) of the
U.S. Department of Commerce. The converter will be available at major
retailers starting in January, 2008.

The converter box was designed for the estimated 15 million households
still watching free, on-air TV. When the transition from analog to
digital concludes on February 17, 2009, these consumers will be able to
watch on-air television with the use of the converter. To help defray
the converter cost, the NTIA has announced a coupon program, which will
provide a $40 coupon toward the purchase, with a limit of two coupons
per household.

Two Digital Stream converter models, the DigitalSTREAM D2A1D10 and
DigitalSTREAM D2A1D20, have been approved by the NTIA. The
cost-effective ATSC off-air receivers, which measure 7.6?X 4.1?X 1.3?
support all 18 ATSC digital television formats, and feature a simple
design and user-friendly interface. The units also meet all of NTIA's
CECB requirements, are RoHS compliant and exceed Energy Star
requirements. MSRP is estimated to be $69.99.

"We are pleased to be the first company to offer an NTIA-approved
digital-to-analog converter box. The converter will help ease the
transition to digital technology for millions of on-air television
viewers,?says Ju H. Kim, Digital Stream CEO.

Digital Stream expects to unveil a comprehensive retailer/partner and
customer support plan for the converters, including telephone technical
support for consumers.