[opendtv] Re: [Brazilian] Government threatens digital TV manufacturers

Mark Schubin wrote:

> I do not doubt that SBTVD STBs are not in stores, but I've
> been waiting since 1998 for an ATSC STB as inexpensive as
> the DVB STBs that ARE in stores.

Okay, but there's no questioning how much cheaper the ATSC HD STBs have been
getting, and last I checked, the ATSC ones are not much different in price from
the DVB-T HD STBs. The fact is, ATSC SD STBs are so far nonexistent, and ATSC
STBs in general don't sell in large quantities, especially now that we have the
"tuner mandate." They used to sell better in the early days of DTV, I'm told by
retailers.

I haven't looked recently at DVB-T HD STB prices, but they used to be higher
than ATSC prices for a long time. You can now buy the new Samsung ATSC STB at a
$10 discount at Circuit City, for $169. I don't think you'll find much lower
than that for DVB-T HD boxes?

When *and if* the coupon boxes become a true "commodity item," I've no doubt
the prices will drop every bit as low as anywhere else. Certainly, the built-in
receivers seem to have reached that point already.