[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:45:00 -0700

Craig;

You are becoming bert-like in this.

I said at least 40%.  Then I said about half.  Now, are you trying to argue
that at least 40% is mutually exclusive with "about half" or 40%?

And, you're missing the forest for the trees.

5 or 6 channels get 40% of the prime-time viewing.  That's "about" (I have
to flag these terms, just in case) 7% of the viewing per channel.  The other
60% of the time, people view one of about 50 channels.  That's 1.2% of the
viewing per channel. ON AVERAGE.

Which is more valuable to cable viewers?  The channels that cable companies
pay plenty of money for -- with little viewing -- or the channels that cable
companies pay nothing or virtually nothing for -- with ON AVERAGE 6x the
viewing?

I read articles everyday about the upfront market.  I think CBS has rather
good results in that area, it's just taking longer and longer every year.

So, by using YOUR figures, cable gets 1/10 the ad revenues of broadcast.
Which form of distribution is more valuable to advertisers?  I should also
point out that cable has MORE AVAILABILITIES PER HOUR, and MORE CHANNELS
than broadcast.

But, you slice the figures your way.  Lemme see.  That syndicated
programming.  What percentage airs on cable (0%).  Look up the definition of
syndicated programming.  You need to add it to broadcast revenues, since
this is the national "barter time" portion of syndicated spots.  Funny how
you just let it lay there ...

I guess it's possible that cable does barter deals for programming (where a
portion of the avails go to the program distributor), but I've yet to hear
of it.  I do hear a lot about the cash deals that they do for programming.

(I think, by watching, that "The Sopranos" on A&E involves some barter in
the form of HBO spots.)

The networks have not only more eyeballs, and higher cpms, they are able to
capitalize on it.  Cable spots just aren't as easy to acquire, the "service"
is variable and sloppy.  Placing ads on all 5 tv networks in prime time,
over a week, you get great GRP (gross rating points).  Doing the same on
cable requires you to place ads on many more networks, and you still miss a
good portion of the audience, mostly mature or lower demographics.  Many
things I see advertised on network TV news (Polident, Milk of Magnesia) are
only advertised on network TV.

Ever see a Wal-Mart ad on cable?  I haven't: they are choosy, cheap, have a
lower demographic and want the most bang for their buck.  They choose local
spot and network TV.  (I've seen them doing participations or billboards on
ABC World News.)

Cable underperforms their market share -- that is, their revenues as a
percentage are less than their share of eyeballs.  TV Networks and stations
over perform their market share.  Boo-hoo.

I would recommend sleeping in bed and watching TV when not in bed.  I watch
plenty of TV during the regular season, but virtually none of the time that
I am watching tv am I asleep. (Radio is another matter.)

John Willkie