[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:08:45 -0400

At 2:11 PM -0400 7/15/07, Barry Brown wrote:

 I wonder, is anyone is taking into account those of us watching
 >> ATSC using a DVR satellite receiver with an in-board O
 > [ ... ] The more important question here is how may will bothTA tuner?
 >er
 after local-into-local HD signals become available in their
 market?

I thought you had to pay extra for local-into-local.

Yeah. And your point is? Another $5 on a $75 to $100 per month bill is not a big barrier. Putting up an outside antenna is.

If that's true, then why get (probably) inferior HDTV quality and a
higher monthly bill, with local-into-local, if you have access to the
OTA signal too?

Convenience and habit.

P.S. Perhaps if broadcasters actually started to promote DTV and inform the public that they can save money by getting their signals via an antenna rather than paying extra from cable and DBS this could change. But it is the broadcasters who appear to be pushing people to cable and DBS so that they can get those retrans consent payments.