[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:01:34 -0400

At 10:51 AM -0700 7/16/07, johnwillkie wrote:
Ohmig*d!  That really changes things!

Note:  you are not referring to Nielsen reports, you are referring to news
reports gleaned by cable-centric folk from the best they can find to support
their reader's cause from Nielsen numbers.  Or, they're just faking it.

These numbers primarily originate with Nielsen.

So, let me modify my comment:  40% or more of the viewing IN ALL HOUSEHOLDS
is of four or five broadcast signals, and the rest of the viewing is of
cable sources, from a hundred choices.

NOT TRUE.

40% of viewing in ALL households is the broadcast networks. But 15% of ALL households can ONLY watch the broadcast networks - but they may not be watching at any given time. So for multichannel households the percentage is typically significantly less than 40%.

I can say with great confidence that the percentage of network programing watched by three people in my home is less than 25%. And the only thing that keeps the networks this high is sports.

The reality is that the audience is fragmenting, and its not just a matter of broadcast versus multichannel services. Internet video is now a factor not to mention all the hours spent surfing - possibly with a TV on for background noise...

That really changes things!

And, you are actually avoiding the real analysis.  From that dozen of
channels, the choice of non-broadcast channels changes from household to
household.  But, in all households, the viewing of broadcast channels is
much higher than the viewership of non-broadcast channels.

Sorry John, this is simply not true. The ONLY claim that you cam legitimately make is that broadcast only households are NOT watching non-broadcast channels. And even this is not true, as many of these homes watch rented movies and DVDs of content from the cable nets like the Sapranos, Sex in the City etc.

You really need to let go of the idea that the broadcast networks are still the center of the universe. They are simply the mass media promotional arm for the media conglomerates that are moving more and more of their best content to non-broadcast outlets.

Thanks for correcting me, Craig.