[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:54:30 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

I would expect an OTA broadcaster to be encouraging this rather than
trying to come up with reasons why it shouldn't be done.

My goodness, Bert. You asked why someone would pay for local-into-local instead of using an off-air antenna, and I gave several good reasons why someone would choose to do so. That does not mean that I condone or condemn the practice.

A viewer is a viewer. How do I as a broadcaster, putting aside for a moment that I work at a PBS affiliate, make more ad revenue because a DBS customer watches me with an off-air antenna as opposed to watching me via local-into-local?

The most popular off air antenna installed by DBS installer contractors are those omnidirectional "flying saucer" antennas. I admit that they work better now that the latest generation of chipsets don't require one to aim the antenna for fewest echoes, but they're still low gain and all around lousy antennas. DBS STBs, as far as I know, don't control antenna rotors.