[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:55:05 -0500

Frank,

I agree with all you say except for:

> Cable has fully embraced HDTV and is moving rapidly to 100% digital
> simulcast of analog channels, in preparation for the eventual shut-off of
> its NTSC tier.

There are too many homes with second and third cable ready televisions
connected to cable without STBs for cable companies to ever completely shut
down their NTSC tier.  Shrink the NTSC tier to almost nothing but OTAs and
PEGs maybe, but not eliminate it entirely.

I would not be surprised if there are more second and third sets in homes
connected to cable without an STB than there are second and third sets
served by antennas.  It's true in my home.

John