[opendtv] Re: Blue Ray has competition

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:15:34 +1200

Yes John, that is true. But it is also true that I am in New Zealand,
not Australia. However, it is common to find non region specific DVD
players here also. So, if the regionalization mechanism can be
circumvented without bother then why maintain it?=20

I am intrigued to know this. When this diabolical concept was devised,
was there any say from representatives of any of the "lesser" regions in
deciding the hierarchy of those regions?

It may be hard for many in the US to appreciate, but I do not wish to
import region 1 NTSC DVDs. The only advantage would be that there may be
extra time for documentary material after the movie. The disadvantage is
inferior quality. The lack of perception of this reality is all too
clear in many comments made by certain people on this forum. This
accounts for statements made implying that the DVB-T standard as
implemented in Europe is backward as it is not geared to HDTV. Can I
remind those people that had the USA had 625 line PAL for the last 50
years there would be no motivation to go to HDTV because resolution is
quite acceptable on the average screen. I can tell you that watching the
Olympics on my 42" AliS plasma screen at a distance of 3 meters is very
satisfying, picture quality wise. It is received in my home via
satellite and the picture is subjectively at least as good as a well
rendered DVD.

Furthermore, as far as picture quality is concerned, there is a marked
difference in quality of entertainment material received from the US
versus that from the UK. A typical example would be the comedy "friends"
which is replaying here. The colour is very poor, the definition is poor
and it is only watchable because it is such a remarkably good comedy.

So, back to my original grumble. I am happy to import region 2 PAL DVDs
but even region 2 has a significantly reduced subset of the US DVD
selection.

Regards
Barry Wilkins        =20

From: "Barry Wilkins" <Barry.Wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> While on the topic of new DVD standards, can anybody tell me if there
> will be imposed an idiotic, unnecessary and entirely unfair regional
> system for these new HD pre-recorded discs. I am saying this because I
> come from the forth "world"(region)area, which does not get many of
the
> DVDs you in the USA get, even after the original movie has been
released
> in theatres for years.
> An example is "The Mission", which even now I had to import from
region
> 2. You have had this release on DVD for how long?
>
> Barry Wilkins

=20
=20