[opendtv] Re: Bert's new LCD panel (was Mark's memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:38:11 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The problem is that to fully enjoy the picture on
> the LCD panel I had to move to a distance of about
> three to four feet from the display, which is not
> much different than the distance we sit from a
> computer display.

> When the LCD panel was switched to an SDTV source,
> the situation became as I expected - the preferred
> viewing distance was comparable to that for a
> direct view 26" CRT. I had to move back to about 7
> feet to enjoy the lower resolution pictures.
>
> This is NOT what I was expecting, and I am now
> eager to get more feedback from the people who are
> buying these panels (like Bert) to determine the
> distance most people find desirable for these
> "smallish" but high resolution LCD panels.

Yes, I had the same experience. Actually, this effect
is what I was hoping for and expecting, because it
allows the viewer to move in closer for a better look,
exactly as one would do with a photograph.

I'm viewing the 26" 16:9 set at exactly the same
distance as my previous 25" 4:3 CRT, for normal
viewing. Which means roughly 10 feet.

For NTSC content, best to stay 10' away. For DVD
content, moving in to 4-5 feet is just fine. You see more
detail, and notice it isn't quite HDTV.

Compared with our very nice 20" CRT upstairs, the
difference is incredibly obvious. With the CRT, you
can't help but notice the shadow mask and scanning
lines, even on that small set, at the viewing
distance of maybe 7-8 feet. It looks good, but
grainy. The LCD instead is smooth and gorgeous, just
like a photograph. The colors are really nice too.

Movies look a lot more like cinema, and I'm not
sure why. Could in part be that it's deinterlaced,
in part the lack of CRT flicker (although movies
have their own flicker), in part the higher res
than I was getting before, but maybe mostly the
smoothness of the image, without that shadow mask
and visible scanning lines. Just the credits
scrolling through look much more cinema-like,
*and* are far more legible. Any print in a DVD
source shows up clear as can be.

And last but not least, my daughter's cat Figaro,
who previously disdained any TV as if it were
entirely beneath his level of intellect, now seems
to be okay with TV. He doesn't run away the minute
the set is turned on. So his objection must have
been technical rather than the content. He objects
to raster scans with flyback transformers.