[opendtv] Re: Berlin report

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:29:12 -0700

Bert reports:
> 7.  Commercial broadcasters paid no more for this transition
> than they would have paid to remain on the air with analog.
> So the transition was a joint commercial and publicly
> funded effort.

This certainly isn't the U.S. model. Those wishing to sell the Berlin model
here should be reminded that US Broadcasters, by the transitions end, will
have invested about a billion dollars simply to remain in business. There
has been no public funding, other than for the PBS transition. Clearly the
CE companies have made a major investment but will, and possibly are,
reaping significant profits from that investment. The consumer is the next
funding "victim" and will create the CE companies ROI.

So, the CE folks and the Government, who will auction the vacant channels,
are the primary benefactors from this transition. One could make the case
that the public will also benefit from the improved broadcast product but
that certainly won't be a near term benefit. The general viewing public
doesn't even know that they need this new service and unless the cable
systems carry the full OTA DTV multiplex, the majority of viewers won't
notice the difference.