[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 19:27:23 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

>Perhaps USDTV has changed their policy?  This is on their website:

>"Terms and Conditions:
>A subscription to USDTV is required to receive any broadcast service with
>the USDTV receiver. By subscribing to the USDTV service, the customer agrees
>to a one-year service agreement of $19.95 per month for the base receiver
>and $4.95 per month for each additional receiver. The monthly service fee
>will be charged to the customer's credit card. If the customer terminates
>the agreement prior to the 12-month term, a cancellation fee of $199.00 per
>receiver will be charged. For complete Terms and Conditions review our
>Residential Customer Agreement."

No they just write bad copy. You can buy all the receivers you want from
them for $19.95 but they will only work if USDTV activates them and then
they charge you for the "SDTV service" $19.95 for each month for the
first one and $4.95 a month for each additional receiver. These units
that work with USDTV will not work to receive other free OTA channels
unless activated by USDTV.

Maybe you could buy receivers for $19.95, hack the unit and get it to
work for OTA channels without paying the $4.95 per month. Or pay the
$4.95 for a year. Maybe they can't deactivate it later. How could they
if you disconnect it? Then you have a receiver for $19.95 plus 12 x
$4.95 or $79.35 that should work anywhere else?. I don't know how they
activate it, deactivate it

The WalMart unit is different in that it does not require activation by
USDTV. I wonder if at WalMart in Salt Lake you have a choice of two units?