[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 14:05:02 -0700

>From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:04:01 -0400
>Dale Kelly wrote:
>
>> I asked Frank, in two different posts, whether he believes
>> that Motorola can
>> deliver Generation 5 performance in the $67 product. I
>> believe the answer to
>> that question may be in the fact that it wasn't answerd.

I recall that my answer was that by early 2007, you wouldn't even be able to
find anything as old as Gen5 except on eBay. Maybe what Dale was really asking
is do I believe that Gen6, 7, 8, etc. will be better or worse performance than
Gen5? My answer would have to be, "probably a little of both." It depends on
the relative cost of Gen5 or higher levels of performance compared to other
8-VSB approaches, it depends on Moore's Law and it depends on competition and
supply & demand.

Recall that Intel, after advancing the Pentium line to a certain performance
level, introduced the Celeron. Why? Because there was a market for a lower end
processor for cheaper computers, and there was money to be made there. Not
everyone requires a 3 GHz P4 with hyperthreading, if all they really want to do
is surf the web and read email.

>If someone asked me whether a 7E7 could be delivered to a
>certain price point, I would feel equally challenged (and
>unwilling to reply!). The best Frank can do is find a
>corporate blurb to post on the topic.

Motorola posted the blurb about the $67 box, and it will be up to them to
decide if, how and when that is a viable business. Anyway, I now work for
Freescale, and we make chips -- not end products.

-- Frank