[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:40:13 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> >The only hope of ever getting back to $129 TV sets with digital will
> >be to package it in a similar way, *NOT* to create a product
> >category that must only come as a high-end separates. We've been over
> >this many many times. Hifi stereo separates are great, but that
> >doesn't preclude the existence of cheaper all-in-one radios.
>
> Sorry, but I don't buy this argument. Yes there will be integrated
> digital TV sets. But most people will buy monitors for fixed
> installations.

First, you talk about a cheap $129 TV set, as if that's a target
DTV must strive for. (Which I agree with.)

Then, you argue that most installations are expensive component
systems that don't require any integration. I don't know that
real numbers support this, but even if they do, the cheap integrated
sets still have to be compared against the *complete* cost of any
alternative, after digital transition.

When you or Mark or anyone wants to compare prices of TV appliances,
you need to look at the whole price. If a monitor is being compared
against an integrated set, then the receiver that monitor depends
on must also be included in the price, somehow. Otherwise, you're
comparing the price of a buggy with the price of an automobile,
without taking the horse into consideration.

> This depends very much on the "network" to which a TV is connected.
> In a digital home, that front end may only need to be a NIC and the
> decoders needed to turn bits into audio and video. It is quite
> possible that the home will access bits from multiple networks (OTA,
> cable or DBS, Internet, etc.). So if an ATSC receiver is essential,
> perhaps a full Internet implementation with browser etc should also
> be integrated into every set...

That's more like it. For now, ATSC/DBS/digital cable is the front end
that makes most sense to most people, if you want to talk about a
DTV transition. Anything else is still in the expensive and elaborate
category, like audio separates.

Wherever that front end is located, it has to be included in the cost
figure. And I *certainly* don't buy the argument that making the
whole system more cumbersome, more expensive, and more proprietary is
a good thing, because it helps to "reduce churn" for service
providers. Jeez. It might be where we're headed, but let's not go
there completely oblivious.