[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:04:43 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> LCD and DLP displays dominated, with the price dropping again on DLP.
> They had two new RCA DLP rear projection sets that looked pretty
> good. Both were equipped with ATSC and cable tuners. The 50" model
> was selling for about $2899, while the 61" model was selling for
> $3399. It is exciting to see sets with this level of picture quality
> starting to sell in the $2-3K price range.

These sets (i.e. French contaminated) have gotten poor reviews
on avsforum and other videophile sites. I looke at one Saturday
and can see why: they are just plain not as clear as
the DLP and RP-LCD competition. Also, and this is a total
killer for sports fans, though they are 720 pixel sets, they
do not accept 720p inputs at all, and people are reporting that
real 720p signals (from ABC and Fox [most Fox stations
are already 720p; ours is) look like the set converts OTA
720 to 1080i and then to whatever it uses on the screen.

As usual, the Samsung dlp and Panasonic RP-LCD sets looked
the best. None of our stores has yet obtained a 1080 fixed-pixel
set, so I can't comment on those.

Doug McDonald