[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:16:58 -0400

At 11:08 AM -0400 7/8/04, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>However we slice it, stand-alone STBs costing under $300 have
>existed since last Christmas. *Therefore*, it makes no sense to
>insist that built-in tuners must cost $300 today, much less years
>from now. As Kon says, it's a rip. And the cost of the newest
>tuners is no higher than the the cost of these older ones.

The fact that some cheap boxes have been sold has little to do with
the fact that the cost for adding multiple Demods to new TVs is still
hovering around $300...or more.

Clearance prices on obsolete inventory are not an indication of real
costs. Subsidized boxes like the USDTV unit are not an indication of
real costs ( by the way, you must pay more for the box if you DO NOT
subscribe to USDTV).

Reality is that the added cost for ATSC/one-way cable support is
still at least $300. Also keep in mind that these implementations now
carry the extra overhead of DVI/HDCP and Firewire/DTCP support, and
the associated royalties. Some of the fire sale products may not have
had support for these new features needed to support CA for cable and
the BF for DTV broadcasts. And then there is the slot for the
cablecard...